- On March 10, 2016
When you think of healthy snacks, do you picture almonds and oat-and-fruit bars? How long would it take before you became bored with your new healthy snack routine? May we suggest some different ways to enjoy nibbling during the day? Whether at work, at home, or for the children, these ideas actually tempt the appetite.
Delicious, Nutritious Snack Choices
- A mixture of roast beef and horseradish on a pear. Sour cream, horseradish, roast beef and half a pear. Scrumptious and only 149 calories;
- Greek yogurt, curry powder, and beet chips. 180 calories of culinary delight!
- Grab 2 crisp bread crackers, add chocolate spread, and top with banana. 214 calories and worth every one of them;
- Jicama or celery sticks wrapped in ham. Add whole-grain mustard. 74 yummy calories.
- Banana, kale, and almond milk blended drink or a smoothie. In a hurry? This is simple, quick, nutritious, and 201 calories;
- Half a bagel with ricotta and strawberries, drizzled with one teaspoon of honey or agave nectar for 148 calories; and
- Lemony avocado with endive dippers. The avocado is mashed with one teaspoon of lemon juice and served with endive leaves (143 calories).
How about snacks that actually burn fat? Snacks with the proper ratio of nutrients and the right number of calories can help energize you while assisting your body to burn fat. It is suggested that snacks remain under 200 calories, with 10 grams of protein and approximately 5 grams of fiber. Here are some ideas on these healthy nibbles.
Snacks that Can Assist with Burning Fat
- An apple and skimmed milk;
- Half an avocado filled with cream cheese;
- Canned tuna in water is a good source of lean protein, and you get healthy Omega-3s, for approximately 200 calories. Stay with 3 ounces of light tuna and 6 whole-wheat crackers for 3 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein;
- Sunflower lentil spread on pita bread provides iron, a metabolism-boosting nutrient;
- For only 190 calories, try shrimp, Greek yogurt, and avocado. Fast and easy with precooked shrimp;
- Miso-glazed tofu weighs in at 164 calories;
- One cup of edamame or boiled soybeans offers 17 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber, and is merely 189 calories; and
- Trail mix is a healthy snack high in potassium and dietary fiber.
Benefits of Healthy Snacks
Snacks provide an opportunity to improve the quality of our diet. Nutrient-rich foods help you achieve recommended intake levels. The Department of Health and Human Services says that we eat less than 60% of the suggested amount of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and seafood. Appetizing healthy snacks can help you not to stray from your diet, such as with junk foods, if you get too hungry. After a snack, the blood sugar levels rise and can assist with energy levels. Following exercise, a healthy snack can replace your energy and aid with muscle recovery.
Even healthy snacks can cause you to gain weight unless you monitor your intake and try not to eat too much.
Happy healthy snacking!